Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pushing Through Marathon PTSD


I knew when I signed up for a marathon that it would hurt. I knew that I would get to mile 20 and cry when I thought about running for another hour. I knew that I would wake up the next day with stiff legs and no energy. I knew it would be weeks before I wanted to run again. But I did not anticipate that six months later, I would still be struggling to feel good as a runner again.
Throughout the summer, I struggled with what I refer to as marathon post-traumatic stress disorder.  After just a few minutes of running, my brain and body would flash back to the pain of the last 6 miles of the marathon. My legs weighed 50 pounds, and my sides cramped, and hips hurt, even when I wasn't running. Worse, at least for my morale, I lacked the mental fortitude to push through it and would just walk half the run.  Due to a combination of these mental struggles, a chaotic work schedule, and deciding to upright myself to another city, my training—which over the winter was extremely structured—became very haphazard.

As a result of this, for the first time since I started running, I began to move backwards, not forwards. I went from 10-minute miles on distance runs back to 11-minute ones. I lost the ability to sprint that I had worked all last summer to gain. Running became a frustration for me instead of an escape from the other frustrations of my life.

I had hoped that when I moved to New York that I would get back into the swing of things and be able to prepare for my November half marathon, but this has not been the case. Figuring out the work/athletics/life balance in my new work and social atmospheres has been much more challenging than I anticipated. I can’t seem to settle into a sleep routine, which has made getting up in the morning to train too painful on some days. I prefer to train with a group, and it has taken me time to figure out which group worked for me and what workouts I could attend. I’ve started to slightly re-gain the ability to push through on distance runs, but I am still slower than I used to be and still pushing through some pains caused by a winter of intense training. And now I am 10 days before race day having done only three long runs and far fewer short ones than I would like.

I have been getting through my workouts lately by reminding myself that it is supposed to be fun. If I skip a run and instead go to a gym class with a friend, that is okay, because it is supposed to be fun. If I cut a workout down to 45 minutes because I am stressed about completing a work assignment, that is okay, because it is not fun when I am on the treadmill stressing about getting my work done. I am trying to accept that my race will just be slow (and perhaps some walking will be involved). As a perfectionist, this is not easy to accept. But I am trying.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, Rachel! I can't promise that the Newton Chilly is going to be fun, but the before and after should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen! this year has definitely been different for me with training, but i try to keep my eye on the prize and remember that i'm doing these things because i love it :) the ever-elusive balance...

    ReplyDelete